Sunday, August 11, 2013

Trying to know about myself

Scientifically it’s proven that female reach to menopause at the age of 45 which literally means that there will be no birth after 45 years old. But exceptionally I came to this materialistic world when my mother was one year behind to attend golden jubilee in her age. Though I broke one of the universally accepted scientific laws but was not fortunate enough as I was deprived of breast feeding right after few months of my birth. Twenty five years ago, being born to humble family in one of the remotest village of GNH country, currently abundantly seen formula milk and bottle feeding must have been  hardly available to use, so in substitute of breast feeding I was brought up by feeding  with locally brewed alcohol until I got admitted to Pre primary. Sonam Tobgay (Bhutanese translation- Sonam: luck, Tobgay: prosperous) is a name given to me by my grandfather who was by then an abbot of local monastery of our village. Logic behind why I got this particular name was that my grandfather had a perception that I must be a child with lots of luck, since I was delivered when my mother has practically crossed menopause phase of her life and it’s rare to see women giving birth at such age.
Regardless of grandfather’s perception, in reality I was never blessed with so called lady luck. Proper breastfeeding is clinically advised for a child to have sound mentality and physique development but pathetically every day I was fed with more than a litre of alcohol in place of breastfeeding despite my tender age and it was a daily part of my diet until I started my schooling. If I am to go with the approved theory of science lesson which explains the impact of alcohol in tender age children, by now I should say that I am an exceptional scientific specimen surviving against the approved theory without any visible abnormalities. 
When I was approximately three years old, my dear father by then who must have been in mid fifties passed away untimely. Being located in one of the remotest part of the country without accessibility to modern amenities and exposure, villagers lived with full of superstitious beliefs. People believed that my father died due to black magic but in reality recently after consulting with my mother I believe he must have been infected with malarial disease as he was sick right after returning trip  from malaria infested area. Untimely death of him deprived me from experiencing fatherly love and care. In spite of my mother’s agony over losing her dear partner, she had a hard time consolingly me about the death of my father as I always demanded him to be present with me during several occasions. These days, my heartache and cheeks get drenched with rolling  tears when my mother shares me about incidences like sleeping with my father’s Gho (Bhutanese traditional dress for  male) during bed time and demanding to eat in his Bang-chung (container made from woven bamboo used as plate) while serving meals.

Every legal document interprets that I was born in month of December, 1988, a Dragon year which contradicts with my current Bhutanese calendar’s zodiac sign. According to my parents, I was born at the end of Hare (rabbit) year of Bhutanese calendar and I belong to Hare not Dragon. So after doing little home work about my date of birth, according to Bhutanese calendar I came to know that its technically right that I belong to Hare(rabbit) year in 1987 although I was biologically given birth somewhere in the mid of February 1988.  The simple reason behind the confusion is that Bhutanese calendar is always lacking behind by two to three months comparing to widely used Christian calendar.  

No comments:

Post a Comment